Mental Health

Who we can help

We provide free, independent legal advice and representation to patients and others affected by mental health law within the Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust area and sometimes across the South West. We can advise people who are in hospital or in the community and whether detained or informal patients.

Types of issues we can help with

  • Mental Health Tribunals (MHTs)
  • Court of Protection (health and welfare only)
  • Hospital Managers’ Hearings
  • Nearest Relative rights
  • Aftercare
  • Transfer

Further support and information

Mind information and support

Rethink information and support

Samaritans telephone support

NHS stress, anxiety and depression

Bristol Council local services

Well Aware mental health resources

Contact us

Call 0117 924 8662 to discuss the help you need


Fax 0117 924 8020

Post 2 Moon Street, Stokes Croft, Bristol BS2 8QE

Or fill in the form below.

* Indicates required field

Any personal data submitted to the Law Centre through this contact form or by email or phone will be confidentially and securely stored for 18 months in accordance with our data retention policy. It will be held by the Law Centre as Data Controller and will only be used for the purposes of considering and where appropriate, responding to your enquiry (and any associated purposes). It will not be disclosed to any third parties and will be securely deleted after 18 months. You have a right to be told what data we hold about you (though you are likely to have provided us with that data) and to have it corrected if it is wrong and can read our full privacy policy here.

Search for other advice

If we’re unable to help you, use the search buttons below to find someone who can. For example, we’re unable to advise on criminal issues, actions against the police, civil litigation, personal injury, wills/probate.

You might also like


Free legal help if you feel you have suffered discrimination.



Help if your home is at risk, you are homeless, or your home is in poor condition & affecting your heath.


Welfare Benefits

Legal advice and representations for Welfare Benefit appeals.