Closing date: Monday, 22nd January 2024
We’re looking for new Bristol Law Centre trustees – could you be one of them?
Could you use your life experience and professional skills to make a real difference to people accessing justice within Bristol? Could joining our Board of Trustees be your next challenge?
Bristol Law Centre is a charity providing free legal advice and casework in specialist areas of social welfare law, also representing clients in court. We help over 1,500 people a year access the justice system thanks to our funders, sponsors and committed staff and volunteers. We also help more than 3,000 enquirers, offer legal education and training, and work on our own and with partners to push for changes to public policy that promote equality and justice.
We are searching for more trustees with the following
- Finance – you will have a financial qualification and experience as a finance manager in an organisation (not necessarily a charity). You will be able to analyse budgets and financial reports, and be able to communicate the implications to other trustees who do not have financial qualifications. You will sit on the Law Centre’s finance committee (chaired by our Treasurer).
- Compliance – you are likely to be a solicitor with an interest in regulation. You will be the trustee who monitors the Law Centre’s compliance with its Articles of Association. You will work with the rest of the Board and the CEO/Management team to ensure the Law Centre maintains regulatory compliance in charity law, company law, data protection, and the Law Society’s quality mark Lexcel.
- Other skills, knowledge and aptitudes combined with an interest in Governance and a passion for our work,- for example influence, policy, communications, digital & data, community and client voice, training and development, strategy development
You can find out more about what it means to be a trustee at Bristol Law Centre, including time commitment – please click here and to meet our current Board members please click here.
We are particularly keen to hear from individuals with different experiences, backgrounds and perspectives to support us in increasing the diversity of ideas available.
To be successful as a Bristol Law Centre Trustee, you will be enthused by the opportunity to use your skills and experience to further develop and broaden our reach. You will be able to contribute to and help shape strategic conversations and have a strong belief in the importance of the Law Centre’s work and the role it plays within the city and wider region.
You can also read more about the role of a charity Trustee on the Charity Commission website please click here
- We invite Expressions of Interest in the form of a short email/film/voice recording rather than a full application form
- We will then give an opportunity for prospective trustees to attend one or two Board meetings, meet with a ‘buddy’ (existing trustee) in advance to talk about the role
- The Chair of Trustees will always stay in regular contact with you, before your appointment as a trustee
Email your expression of interest to email@example.com (please put ‘trustee application’ in the subject field) and please contact us if you have any questions in the meantime.